blogbackup

Monday, July 5, 2010

Magic sandwiches

I know, I know, I'm supposed to be taking a break from blogging, but my brother insists that I post this recipe – he named this a ‘Magic Sandwich’ the first time I made it for him. The recipe has a life of its own, and changes each time I make it, but certain ingredients must be included for it to qualify as ‘magic’ – I will italicize these.

Take 2 slices of brown or whole wheat bread.
Generously spread 1 slice with Helman’s low fat mayo, and the other with marmite.
Place the marmite slice on a sheet of cling wrap or grease-proof paper (paper is actually best).
Now pile on LOTS of mixed lettuce leaves, watercress, sliced cucumber and sliced tomato.

We used to get something called ‘cheese spice’ here, but I think it must have contained MSG, because it’s no longer available. So sprinkle the salad-y stuff with aromat or some similar seasoning, and some freshly ground black pepper.
Top with a good slice or 2 of Hickory smoked ham and slices of cheese.
Then add avocado slices.
Finish with the mayo-ed bread slice, and press down with the palm of your hand.
Do NOT attempt to cut the sandwich in half.

Quickly fold the greaseproof paper tightly around the sandwich.

To eat, hold with both hands, tearing the paper off in a spiral as you work your way down.

I can picture my brother now, begging for another!

No comments: