blogbackup

Friday, January 22, 2010

Alcohol

Excessive drinking, as we all know, is bad for our health.
Heavy drinkers tend to eat inadequately, so nutrition is poor. Plus they are likely to suffer with impaired digestion and liver function.
Moderate drinking, though, appears to be beneficial.

Moderate drinking, i.e. one glass of wine, or one metric measure of spirits or half to a pint of beer/cider a day, is believed to raise 'good' cholesterol in the bloodstream, reduce stress and lower the risk of stroke.

Drinking alcohol does tend to encourage snacking: crisps, nuts etc - additional fats and kilojoules that you would not normally have eaten.

I have no strong feelings for or against alcohol - I just think a lot of people behave foolishly enough sober, why worsen the situation with alcohol? I seldom drink myself, because I love food too much. I would far rather eat my kilojoules. Alcohol contains kilojoules, and little else - it's certainly short on vitamins and minerals.

Alcohol should, of course, be avoided by people who are: pregnant, planning a pregnancy, driving, operating heavy machinery or on medication. And definitely by people who are underage.

If you are trying to lose weight, cutting alcohol consumption down (or out altogether) will help save a few kilojoules.

No comments: