blogbackup

Monday, March 14, 2011

Using time efficiently

.
Many of us - myself included - struggle to find time to fit all our tasks into one day. Twenty four hours just aren't enough for everything that must be done, never mind the things we would like to do. I make to-do lists. Usually I write them down - even things I know I will be doing, then at least I have a couple of things that will definitely get ticked as done.

Do you ever rough out a time-table for your day? You need to reference it frequently for it to be effective. I’ve just started using Google calendar and it reminds me, with an on-screen message, when I am due to start the next task. Actually, after using it for three days, I'm finding it just the teensiest bit irritating - it e-mails me, too!

Any time-table or schedule needs to be reviewed and modified every so often. If you're new to scheduling it's probably a good idea to make a review once a week. Even if a schedule works for you, it isn't necessarily efficient use of your time. And you shouldn't get too obsessed with it, either. Some people get so involved in tweaking their schedules and making to-do lists that they actually end up wasting time. They use scheduling and list-making to procrastinate, and, as a result, get nothing done at all (except beautiful, masterful schedules and to-do lists!).

I'm planning on saving some future time tonight. It will cost maybe five minutes extra this evening, but will gain me at least half an hour some other night. I will double up on my recipe quantities, freeze the second half and have a home-made ready-meal when I need it. Or I can use the extra for my grandson, and not have to cook specially for him. Or freeze for later AND feed my grandson - bonus!

Can you save any time in the kitchen tonight?
.

No comments: